Laptop Lunch Kits Distributed to Reduce Campus Lunch Waste
PROGRAM GOAL: To see if distributing waste-free lunch kits to families would reduce lunch waste on campus during the 2002 / 2003 academic year.
PROCEDURE: Thirty Laptop Lunch kits (www.laptoplunches.com) were distributed to thirty students in a single class. Families were encouraged to pack waste-free lunches as often as possible.
RESULTS: A follow-up survey was conducted between June 5 and June 16, 2003 to find out how families felt about using the lunch kits. Thirty participating families received the surveys. A total of thirteen were completed and returned.
1. Have you packed lunches for your child using the Laptop Lunch Box? [ 12 ] Yes [ 1 ] No
2. If you have not used the Laptop Lunch Box, why not? (Check all that apply)
[ 0 ] No Time
[ 0 ] Not sure how to use it
[ 0 ] Need information in Spanish
[ 0 ] Other
3. How many days per week do you pack a lunch for your child?
[ 2 ] 1 [ 4 ] 2 [ 1 ] 3 [ 1 ] 4 [ 4 ] 5
4. How many days per week do you use the Laptop Lunch Box ?
[ 2 ] 1 [ 5 ] 2 [ 3 ] 3 [ 1 ] 4 [ 1 ] 5
4. Have you used the Guide book is preparing lunches? [ 7 ] Yes [ 5 ] No
5. Do you find that by using the Laptop Lunch Box you save money? [ 9 ] Yes [ 3 ] No
6. If you were provided with a Laptop Lunch Box for all your children, would you use them? [ 10 ] Yes [ 2 ] No
7. What do you like about the Laptop Lunch Box? (Check all that apply)
[ 9 ] Easy to use
[ 8 ] Saves money
[ 6 ] Guide Book
[ 6 ] More nutritious lunches
[ 7 ] My child seems to like what I pack
[ 5 ] Able to use leftovers
[ 7 ] I feel like I get to decide what my child eats instead of pre-packaged single-serving items
[ 2 ] Other
8. Does your child return all the containers and eating utensils home after school? [ 12 ] Yes [ 0 ] No
9. Is there anything you would like to change about the Laptop Lunch Box?
NOTE: The Laptop Lunch kits were distributed before the carrying case was available. The carrying case provides enough space for a drink and an ice pack. Carrying cases have since been provided to these families. Also, lunch packers who prefer that all of the containers have water-tight lids can use the Laptop Lunches 2.0 version with the Bento Buddies.